Re: Inband styling (was Re: Evidence of 'Wide Review' needed for VTT)

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 14:36 , Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:17 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the static transcoding case is easier.  It is, alas, not the only one.
>
> What we are talking about is the conformance requirements of
> standalone WebVTT files and what the WebVTT parser will do if
> encountering style blocks after a cue.

No, I think I must disagree.  Is such a restriction written anywhere (that files cannot be incrementally produced)?  You might argue that the incremental production case isn’t specifically included either, but I think we live in a world with more english than german rules :-)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_which_is_not_forbidden_is_allowed#National_traditions>

> In this context, static
> resources really is all that exists, as live captioning with
> <track>+WebVTT [1] hasn't been spec'd. If there are other contexts
> that use the WebVTT syntax and parser in a streaming mode, then that
> would be interesting to know. AFAICT, it would only be a situation
> like that where there could be a problem, and if it's only a
> hypothetical at this point I don't think that should affect how WebVTT
> works in the context of <track>.

No, it’s not hypothetical.  DASH/MP4/VTT relies on this, and it was (and is) seen as a core advantage of VTT over TTML.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.