Re: Scrolling as overlap avoidance (Re: Alternative approach to scrolling, with demos)

Hmm, ok, I see a potential problem with the use case under point #10 in
http://www.dcmp.org/captioningkey/text.html - for the purpose of showing as
much image as possible, you want the background width to be no larger than
the actual text width + padding. That is what is shown in this image (and
also in #9). But if you scale the font, you eventually need to wrap around
when the left/right cues grow too close to each other.

That leaves two options:

1. explicitly specify cue width, and have the background extend all the way
across the width. That covers more image than you should, and also doesn't
look very pleasing aesthetically if you have a large black/translucent bar
with no text in it.

2. force some kind of maximum width, after which you wrap around - but the
cue width can be smaller than the max depending on font metrics. And the
background extends only across the real cue width.

I'm not yet fully up to speed - does WebVTT cover #2? Or are there
alternatives that could give the desired behavior?

Christian

--
Christian Vogler, PhD
Director, Technology Access Program