Re: Absolute region positioning (was Re: Alternative approach to scrolling, with demos)

On May 7, 2014, at 9:31 , Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:45 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I rather suspect that we’d be a lot further ahead if we hadn’t spent a lot of time following mandates to emulate x08, honestly.
>>
>> But overall, I share your frustration and agree with the goals.  The goal is great accessibility across the ecosystem.  Let’s get there.
>
> VTTRegion is emulating 708, though, and until now it seemed like you
> were unwilling to make any changes to it. What do you think the path
> towards great accessibility is, in more concrete terms?

Well, two things.

I wasn’t crazy about emulating 708, but we were adding features to get in line with the FCC document, and it seemed that if that was the goal, then simply emulating was the thing to do.  I am not at all sure I agree with the implication that 708 is the perfection of captioning systems, and its characteristics and quirks have to be carried into future systems, but that’s where the FCC put us.

The best thing we can do, in my opinion, is to have a simple stable spec. that is widely deployed and widely used, so that content actually is accessible because both the client system and the content support it.

Yes, it’s worth making sure edge cases are covered and so on, but most captioning is pretty vanilla, isn’t it?

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.