Re: Absolute region positioning (was Re: Alternative approach to scrolling, with demos)

Saying that we need to do something because of some legalities is not the
right stance to take. It is because video accessibility to people with
disabilities matters, that we are doing this. A lot of the FCC legalities
with respect to internet video actually exist because that is what
consumers with disabilities, who first-hand depend on the outcome and use
captions on a daily basis, asked for. Not all the nooks and crannies are
wonderful or make sense, but a lot of them are there for good reasons.

I apologize for being so blunt, but my biggest fear right now is that we
end up rehashing arguments again that were very hard fought over, because
everyone has a different idea of what is important. That in part caused us
to end up where we are now: web browsers missed the 2014 deadlines and are
not complying with accessibility laws and rules. This isn't a legality but
something that affects us concretely on a day to day basis, and the only
reason that advocacy organizations are taking a wait and see stance, rather
than going after noncompliance, is that they are aware that WebVTT
standardization efforts are not complete yet.

One way this situation concretely affects us is that the mobile browsing
experience is just inaccessible. As an experiment, try
http://tap.gallaudet.edu/articles/fcc/ on mobile browsers. Take Android
JellyBean with the old WebKit browser. No captions at all. Take Android
KitKat with Chrome, or standalone Chrome, and captions work - as long as
you don't try to switch to fullscreen mode. Take a desktop browser and
fullscreen works. But mobile isn't there and content providers have already
stated that they need to get the browser manufacturers to get their act
together in order to meet their obligations to caption everywhere. Because
that hasn't happened yet we are missing a huge part of the mobile
existence. We're kind of hoping that WebVTT will get us there, not the
least because we don't have good alternatives in sight.

Consumers probably won't care if we do a feature via native WebVTT or
JavaScript, but they will care if JavaScript polyfill doesn't work in
fullscreen, which is where we are right now. Either way, browser
manufacturers are on the hook, and in my view it's better to have a
standard than a wild west of JavaScript based methods that are inconsistent
from site to site and browser to browser.

Thank you for listening.

Best wishes
Christian

Sent from my mobile phone.  Please excuse any touchscreen-induced weirdness.