Re: Scrolling as overlap avoidance (Re: Alternative approach to scrolling, with demos)

On May 5, 2014, at 5:00 , Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

>> (2) the background color on the width and height of the rollup area
>> needs to be changeable
>
> Why? As I noted in the "background box tweaking" thread that's still
> possible with the sum of my suggestions, but I don't understand what
> the use case is.

>> (4) move all the cues in the region as a group to another location
>
> This is also not handled by the current spec. I don't think it makes
> sense either, why not just end the cues and repeat them in a new
> position?

I agree for these that if you want something ‘similar’ to appear as what’s already there, the clean thing to do is to re-draw it.  Same content but in a different region (with different position or colors), and so on.

>> (3) font size changes on the region need to make the region go bigger
>> centered out from the anchor point
>
> That's not handled by the current spec. We've talked about using
> font-relative units but that hasn't happened. I'd love to understand
> the use case for this though. Do you have an example video frame where
> scaling around an anchor point is necessary as opposed to mode of
> scaling that happens with classical WebVTT?

I also am curious

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.