Re: Absolute region positioning (was Re: Alternative approach to scrolling, with demos)

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>> == Absolute positioning and scrolling ==
>>
>> Demo: http://people.opera.com/philipj/2014/03/vttscroll/absolute.html
>>
>> Finally, an idea for how scrolling might work with absolutely
>> positioned cues. You simply position all the cues at the point where
>> scrolling should begin, and they'll scroll up from there.
>
> I've attached a vtt file for you with two "regions". The cues should
> each get limited to their "region".
>
> You can see for yourself how this breaks down with 2 regions present.
>
> I think it's quite clear that the concept of cue groups codified in
> regions is a more appropriate approach than building ad-hoc groups of
> captions by trying to group them based on them overlapping each other.

For simplicity in the demo, I scrolled all the cues by the same amount
without checking if they actually overlap, which of course falls apart
when you have two groups of cues. If implemented properly, I don't see
that cues scrolling in different parts of the video would be a
problem. If scrolling implemented as overlap avoidance, the situation
has to be handled anyway.

How are overlapping regions handled? Not at all AFAICT, some text
would simply be obscured.

Philip