Re: Unifying the rendering approach

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Victor, Philip, all,
>
> Does this make sense to you? If so, I can start preparing a branch
> with patches for this.

I've read all the mails in this thread but don't see a concrete
suggestion for unification. What concrete changes are we talking
about, and what are they unifying?

As for an implicit anonymous region, I think that is the wrong way to
phrase this in the spec. Certainly currently it would be completely
wrong since a region changes the rendering algorithm completely. I'd
like us to have an internal concept of constraining the size available
for layout that is honored for snap-to-line cues and that a region
simply establishes such a constraint. We don't need an anonymous
region because lack of a region is simply a lack of such a
constraint...

(Not honoring constraints for non-snap-to-line cues gets rid of the
percentage-positioned-cue-in-region case which AFAIK there is no use
case for.)

Philip