Getting WebVTT "1.0" on the Recommendation Track, Action Needed!

Dear patient WebVTT people,

after much work I am please to announce that we reached, this week, two important milestones:

1) the proposed charter of the Timed Text Working Group is before the Advisory Committee for comment and, we hope, approval.  Please work with your AC Rep to help this get reviewed and (we hope) approved.

On Feb 18, 2014, at 9:57 , Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today W3C Advisory Committee Representatives received a Proposal to revise the Video in the Web Activity [0] (see the W3C Process
> Document description of Activity Proposals [1]). This proposal includes a draft charter for the Timed Text Working Group:
>  http://www.w3.org/2013/10/timed-text-charter.html
>
> As part of ensuring that the community is aware of proposed work at W3C, this draft charter is public during the Advisory
> Committee review period.
>
> W3C invites public comments through 2014-03-20 on the proposed charter. Please send comments to public-new-work@w3.org, which has a public archive:
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/
>
> Other than comments sent in formal responses by W3C Advisory Committee Representatives, W3C cannot guarantee a response to comments. If you work for a W3C Member [2], please coordinate your comments with your Advisory Committee Representative. For example, you may wish to make public comments via this list and have your Advisory Committee Representative refer to it from his or her formal review comments.
>
> If you should have any questions or need further information, please contact Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org> and Thierry Michel <tmichel@w3.org>, Staff Contacts.
>
> Thank you,
> Coralie Mercier, W3C Communications
>
> [0] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/activities#ActivityCreation
> [2] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List
>
> --
> Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
> mailto:coralie@w3.org +336 4322 0001 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/

2) A snapshot to get a clean licensing commitment.

PLEASE make your licensing commitment to WebVTT!

In order to ‘seed’ the work in the working group, we need to take something that is, or clearly derives from, a snapshot of the community group document, that has an appropriate IPR state.  When each of you contributed to the Community Group, you gave a license in your own contributions (by virtue of having signed the Contributor License Agreement when you joined).  We now need a license from all contributors (ideally, everyone, so there isn’t doubt) for the *entire* specification.  That then covers cases such as when other contributions read on your IPR, or when your contribution per se did not read on some IPR but its use in the VTT specification does (there may be other cases, IANAL).

Please take a moment to log in to the W3C (so the site knows who you are, and that you are a member of the community group) and then visit <http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/>.
In the middle, under completed work, you should see a document dated 2014-02-20 called WebVTT; this is the snapshot.  To its right, click Licensing Commitments, and then click on the Big Red Button to make a commitment, and fill it in.

Many thanks, and thanks to all who have brought us this far!

David Singer