Re: Using WebVTT metadata tracks and missing API

Le 28/10/2013 22:49, Silvia Pfeiffer a écrit :
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Cyril Concolato
> <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently added to MP4Box (GPAC's MP4 manipulation tool), the ability to
>> export any MP4 track as WEBVTT metadata tracks. I thought this might be of
>> interest to some of you (and to the new Media Resource In-Band track CG).
>> The post is here [1]. Comments are welcome.
>>
>> What I've found so far doing this is that the WebVTT interfaces are missing:
>> - an API to get non-WebVTT settings that could be added in WebVTT files.
> What do you mean by "non-WebVTT settings"?
I mean things like:
00:00:10.000 --> 00:00:20.000 mySettings1:value1 mySettings2:value2
.... data ....
Of course, one could put those settings in the payload data, but that
would be handy to use the VTT parser.

>> - an API to get the header from the WebVTT file.
> Do you mean to get that in a Web browser? WebVTT has no APIs to get
> things out of WebVTT files...
Well it actually does, minimally. You can get the text content of each
cue (.text), or the settings (cue.align, cue.size ...). Again, one can
hack that and serialize the header as a dummy cue to get its content
through cue.text but that's pretty ugly.

I think both extensions would be useful for WebVTT.

Cyril