Re: Unifying regions and non-regions layout algorithms

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Victor Carbune
> <victor.carbune@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
> > <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> integer

> within a
> >>
> >> Actually, we have that right now. It just means that the position (the
> >> one that is not in line-dimension) calculation is relative to the
> >> region boundaries rather than the viewport boundaries.
> >
> > I does make sense to me from the left/right boundaries of the region
> > (x-percentage). I don't think it's useful for top/bottom within a
> > region (y-percentage).
>
> Right. I agree.

> not.
> >>
> >> If we follow through with the separation between line-positioned
> >> (snap-to-lines) and line-percentage-positioned (non-snap-to-lines)
> >> cues, I think that we would only have overlap avoidance for
> >> line-positioned cues and they would be outside of regions, wouldn't
> >> we?
> >
> > It can be exactly the same algorithm and we could support integer-line
> > positioning within a region. I'll be as explicit as possible - suppose
> > you have the following:
> >
> > Region: id=test lines=3
> >
> > 00:00:00.000 --> 00:00:20.000 region:test line:1
> > First
> >
> > 00:00:00.000 --> 00:00:20.000 region:test line:3
> > Second
> >
> > This would mean that the "test" region will end up with the middle
> > line empty and the same algorithm can be applied for positioning as it
> > currently happens for cues displayed directly on the viewport. The
> > only difference for regions is that when the region ends up with cues
> > below its maximum size (in this case, if there would be a cue with
> > line:4, for example), the region could animate and scroll such that
> > the last line becomes visible, while the first one is hidden.
>
> Are you suggesting we allow cues in regions to have "line" cue
> settings, but only if they are snap-to-line "line" cue settings and
> not percentage-line-cue-settings? That would be possible... but
> wouldn't it defeat the automatic line positioning that the region
> provides already?

Since region height is always specified in lines, allowing cues to have
line numbers makes a lot of sense for a non-scrolling region. I'm not sure
what the behavior would be for  a scrolling region, however.

Since the region can already be positioned exactly, I'm not sure what the
use case would be for percentage positioning within a region.