Re: Unifying regions and non-regions layout algorithms

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2013, at 14:54 , Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> So, I have been to FOMS, and there was a lot of talk about WebVTT.
>>
>> One of the things we discussed was how to integrate WebVTT Regions
>> more deeply into the spec, to not make it look like something bolted
>> on to the side. The different layout algorithms for the regions and
>> non-regions cases is a key component here.
>
> Bother
>
> certainly, I tried to make suggestions that matched the overall idea that layout (as previously defined) happened within a ‘region’ which, by default, was the entire area assigned to the VTT, and that all the regions bolt-on did was define smaller sub-spaces in which the same layout occurred.  Did we fail?

Don't worry. We're only talking about the rendering algorithm in the
spec. That needs a work-over anyway. The rest of the spec (in
particular the syntax and parsing) is all still fine. So, it's just
browser-internals that we're changing. Basically we're doing a code
cleanup.

Cheers,