Re: WebVTT spec

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> > >
> > > I moved them because I'm not sure all text track languages will want
> > > to define this. We can always move it back later if it turns out other
> > > formats do always want it.
> >
> > I don't think the format matters. What matters is what the web devs need
> > and these are the two core functions a web dev would use IMHO.
>
> The format clearly matters, since if it's not defined for a language,
> there's no way for the developers to use the API...

.text provides the uninterpreted content of a cue  - every format will have
such. So, at a minimum .text should be in the parent class. getCueAsHTML()
is then the function that interpretes the text as HTML, so given that every
format has .text and will want to render it in the browser, again
getCueAsHTML() would be uniformly required.

Since the baseclass is virtual, you are right that it doesn't really matter
right now and can be added later. It just doesn't seem logical to me.