Re: WebVTT spec

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Mar 2013, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > Yup, fair enough. So we'd put TextTrackCue still into the HTML spec, but
> > move WebVTTCue and everything else WebVTT specific into a WebVTT
> > extension specification for HTML?
>
> It wouldn't be an extension specification for HTML, it'd just be WebVTT,
> no?

There is the WebVTT file spec, which is used outside HTML as well, so this
is separate. But then there are the objects in HTML that parse WebVTT. So,
those need to be in some kind of "glue spec". Could be an appendix to
WebVTT, I guess.

> The more specs we have the more complicated things are. We should
> really just have one spec, or, for sanity, one spec per editor. Splitting
> things into more specs than we have editors is just confusing.

True. :-)

> I've got a script creating the current WebVTT spec from the source file.
> > I assume we'd move all WebVTT related things out? I can start preparing
> > this and when we're happy with it, we can remove it from source ?
>
> On the HTML side I'll split the WebVTT parts of the TextTrackCue interface
> out, and then in a separate commit remove the WebVTT parts.

OK. Let's just continue to have the current spec up while I figure
everything out. Once I've published a new spec and we're all happy with it,
we can switch over.