Re: Change ::cue(foo) to ::cue foo

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:
> Tab wrote:
>>> OK. So should we change ::cue(foo) to ::cue foo?
>>
>> If possible, yeah.
>
> I think we should retain ::cue's functional syntax. VTT's markup lives
> in a different world from the <video> element's document, and the
> functional syntax makes that clear:
>
>   foo bar baz video::cue(wormhole to other world)
>
> If we drop the functional syntax, you get this:
>
>   foo bar baz video::cue thing-that-looks-like-it's-in-the-main-document
>
> VTT documents are conceptually more separate from the HTML documents
> which link to them than Shadow DOM trees are from their light DOM hosts;
> it's a good thing for this to be syntactically different.

This is not, for any practical purposes, any more or less separate
than a shadow DOM tree or a region tree.  Your argument against ::cue
applies equally to ::content, since you can also have:

  foo bar baz content::content thing-that-looks-like-it's-in-the-shadow-tree

So, this argument proves too much, unless you're trying to make the
more general argument (which I don't think you are).

~TJ