Re: Default Display for Voice Tags

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:19:31 +0200, Rick Eyre <rick.eyre@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Currently the spec doesn't talk about anything related to a default
> display for voice tags. The way it's set up now is for voice tags to be
> converted to <spans> with a "title" attribute that is the voice of the
> speaker.

The DOM construction rules are only relevant for getCueAsHTML(), not for
rendering the cues. The rendering rules don't use a DOM at all and don't
mention "title" attributes or tooltips.

> Normally this would mean that when you mouse over the span we would see
> a tooltip. However, this functionality currently isn't working in Webkit
> as far as I can tell and to implement it in Firefox would take some work.
>
> My question is if there should be a default display for Voice tags such
> as "Voice: Text" or something like that or is it being deliberately left
> up to the author of the WebVTT to specify some kind of display through
> CSS? Is the tooltip supposed to be the default display?

The spec is unambiguous, as far as I can tell. The voice isn't rendered by
default, and there's no tooltip.

I think the voice is basically supposed to be a semantic version of
colored lines, which are commonly used for separating voices. However it's
currently up to the author to provide CSS to get the colors.

We could change the spec, of course, if there are good reasons.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software