Re: A new proposal for how to deal with text track cues

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2013, at 1:57 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> OK, so I guess this is the crux of the matter: unifying the representation
> of chapter cues. What formats other than WebVTT are able to represent
> chapters?
>

> Plenty others, including DVD chapters, chapters in QuickTime files, in
> MP2, or in MP4 files. But they all parse down to a start time (an
> optional end time) and a plain text string.
>

>   Many video players can display images as well as text in the chapter menu.
> In QuickTime and MPEG-4 files these come from a video track of chapter
> images that is associated with (referenced from) the chapter track. We
> should consider this when we get around to specifying chapters in more
> detail.

Right, that would be an extended chapter format. We could even add
that to a ChapterCue object since it seems fairly common and still
signifies the same semantics. But I wouldn't want to have to parse a
chapter cue that has image data in it and a chapter title into a
WebVTTCue object and be able to interpret it as captions.