Re: A new proposal for how to deal with text track cues

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

> I don't think trying to split the interfaces for WebVTT cues make sense,
> since the kind can be changed dynamically,

The @kind is a readonly attribute - I don't think it can be changed
dynamically. If you know of a way to change the @kind dynamically, I
think we should stop that possibility. I don't think it makes sense
to, e.g., have cues with image content be able to dynamically convert
to descriptions or other types of cue content.

> and the actual content of a
> WebVTT file can be the same regardless of the kind. For example, what would
> happen if the kind is changed while the WebVTT files is being received and
> parsed? And if the kind is changed later, should the file be re-parsed?

If you wanted cues to end up on a track of a different kind, you'd
have to copy them to a different cue type first and then add them to
that track. I think that's a reasonable requirement given the vastly
different types of content that can end up in a cue.