Re: Default Display for Voice Tags

On Jul 10, 2013, at 5:13 , Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is there a suggestion for a default rendering of voice tags of VTTCues?
>>> For example, should
>>>
>>> <v Richard>I need a coffee
>>>
>>> be rendered as
>>>
>>> <bold>Richard:</bold> I need a coffee
>>>
>>> ?
>>
>> I think it *could* be.  I guess the CSS way to do that is to have a rule that does text-before on 'Richard' cues.  But 'should'?
>
> Looking at it from an author's point-of-view: why author voice tags
> when they have no visual effect?

well, if the author wants the name to appear always, then I'd suggest that they put it in the text:

   <v Richard>Richard: I need a coffee

The 'voice' styling might involve inserting the name, might involve positioning (e.g. in an interview where the interviewer is known to be on the left and the interviewee on the right), might involve other styling (e.g. color), or might even be used to select different voices in a text-to-speech system (e.g. for people who have hearing difficulties and need things spoken clearly at a defined rate).

Marking the speaker name is an important semantic;  all I am saying is that we shouldn't assume how the author or user want that semantic used or presented; that's why I think it's 'could' rather than 'should'.

David Singer