Re: Default Display for Voice Tags

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 01:14:33 +0200, Rick Eyre <rick.eyre@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> The spec is unambiguous, as far as I can tell. The voice isn't rendered
>>> by
>>> default, and there's no tooltip.
>>>
>>> I think the voice is basically supposed to be a semantic version of
>>> colored lines, which are commonly used for separating voices. However
>>> it's
>>> currently up to the author to provide CSS to get the colors.
>>>
>>> We could change the spec, of course, if there are good reasons.
>>

>> My first thought is that there should be some kind of default display for
>> voice text. If it's something that people are going to be wanting to use a
>> lot, which I would think it is, then it would make sense to have some kind
>> of default that people don't have to worry about it.
>

> I don't really disagree. However, if the default is something that people
> *don't* want, then that might be worse, since authors might not figure out
> how to undo it and instead avoid using voices.

Is there a suggestion for a default rendering of voice tags of VTTCues?
For example, should

<v Richard>I need a coffee

be rendered as

<bold>Richard:</bold> I need a coffee

?

I've seen this used in captions, in particular when the speaker is
off-screen, see
http://www.dcmp.org/captioningkey/speaker_identification.html .

I'm asking because I prefer features that have a visual effect over
ones that have to be styled manually to be seen. Others just tend to
get misused and end up with too much spammy content.

Silvia.