Re: VTT authoring guide on Web Platform Docs?

Nice start! Some random feedback.

WebVTT stands for "Web Video Text Tracks" and not "Web Video Time
Tracks", although I have to wonder if that might be better naming. ;-)

Google Chrome only has the region feature behind a flag - everything
else is released. And no: nothing is really different since the blink
fork, apart from bug fixes.

I'm not sure I would include ogg theora still in your examples - WebM
and MP4 is likely sufficient.

Not sure what you want to put into the "Accessibility and ARIA
considerations" section - almost all <track> features cover
accessibility fully and don't require ARIA. Maybe if you want to talk
about audio descriptions, you could say that the plan is to have the
text be voiced by the browser for blind users. However, this is not
implemented yet and is basically waiting for speech synthesis to be a
native browser feature. It can currently be achieved only with browser
extensions. I'd remove that section TBH.

Where did you read "Optional Cue Settings separated from the time by
no more than 2 spaces"? In the spec it says one or more SPACE or TAB
characters are used for separation.

What does this mean: "As far as HTML5 video is concerned the only
difference between captions and subtitles are the way the <code> tags
are structured:" ? I don't follow...

You have <p> tags in the description example - they are not conformant
(and some of them are not closed properly). Just remove them. Every
line is a "paragraph" anyway.

As for metadata tracks: they exist to transport any information that
is supposed to be time-aligned with the video or audio's timeline.
This could be base64 encoded images, JSON, or anything else that a JS
developer would want to interpret at a certain time instance on the
video/audio timeline.

In your conversion from SRT to VTT, you write "Replace them with Cue -
prefixes." I don't understand what that means. Do you mean to give
cues a name (id)? If so, that's not necessary - the numbers of SRT
work perfectly fine, too.

Timestamp tags are not just useful for Karaoke, but also for paint-on
captions. You might want to add that use case.

Some markup has gone wrong around the bold and underline tags.

Adding @default to the text track not only makes that track the
default, but also turns it on by default so it is displayed. Might
need some clarification.

The last example of <track> use has a @kind=captions collection twice
- I think the latter one was supposed to be a @kind=descriptions
example.