Re: [blink-dev] WebVTT vs TTML Features

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:36 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 12:56 , Glenn Adams <glenn@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> > * we want this to be only one of many possible implementation choice
> > and
> > * we want there to be a simple expression of the timed cues that is not
> dependent on an implementation choice
> >
> > Which would require the "simple expression" to be a semantic/stylistic
> superset of formats, which HTML/CSS is, but WebVTT isn’t.
>
> No, that’s a non-sequitur.  You asked why we don’t simply assume HTML,
> CSS, and Javascript and do titling using XMLHttpRequest, or the like.  That
> assumes an *implementation* using HTML.

Since VTT is normatively defined as a mapping to HTML/CSS and we are
preparing to do this for TTML, and since TextTrackCue assumes that a
rendered form of a cue implements getCueAsHTML() which returns a renderable
HTML/CSS mapping, then someone already appears to be making this assumption
(that *some* implementation uses HTML... not that every implementation
*must* use HTML).

> The simple expression needs to express what we need in captioning,
> independent of the implementation thereof.  Why does it need to be a
> ‘superset’ of anything?

If both VTT and TTML (via new work in TTML2) are going to define their
normative rendering semantics using HTML/CSS, then either HTML/CSS needs to
be a superset of their intended rendering or some rendering will be
incomplete, yes?