Re: [blink-dev] WebVTT vs TTML Features

On Dec 10, 2013, at 12:56 , Glenn Adams <glenn@chromium.org> wrote:

> * we want this to be only one of many possible implementation choice
> and
> * we want there to be a simple expression of the timed cues that is not dependent on an implementation choice
>
> Which would require the "simple expression" to be a semantic/stylistic superset of formats, which HTML/CSS is, but WebVTT isn’t.

No, that’s a non-sequitur.  You asked why we don’t simply assume HTML, CSS, and Javascript and do titling using XMLHttpRequest, or the like.  That assumes an *implementation* using HTML.

The simple expression needs to express what we need in captioning, independent of the implementation thereof.  Why does it need to be a ‘superset’ of anything?

David Singer