Re: [blink-dev] WebVTT vs TTML Features

I for one can't answer the question about actual use. First, TTML is
designed for both interchange amongst authoring and archiving systems and
for distribution between content service providers and end-user devices
(browsers). In the former case, this content is generally in closed systems
not exposed for examination, in the latter case, I have seen no use counter
statistics gathering.

If Chrome implemented TTML support then we could add UseCounters to gather
these metrics for TTML content used for distribution.

There is some possibility of gathering statistics another way, which is
that I expect a TTML validator to go online at the W3C perhaps in the 1st
quarter of 2014. This validator could catalog usage statistics over time
and eventually provide useful frequency of use information.

It might be useful to query caption houses or large content archive
maintainers (e.g., Time Warner - HBOGO, etc., Netflix, and so on) for such
data.

G.