Re: File headers

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>  agreed.  if we don't like escaping blank lines, don't have them. it's no
> harder to remove them than it is to insert the escape.

I've explained why supporting blank lines is useful.  It's something the
world will live with and tolerate if we force it on them, but the UX (or
perhaps AX--authoring experience) will be poor.

A) All headers are single-line.  Result: you want a short file-specific
> style sheet, either write it on one line, or put it in a separate file.

Forcing people to write stylesheets on a single line is a painful option to
consider.  In my opinion, the options are either 1: don't allow inline
stylesheets of any kind, or 2: allow them and don't force them to be
flattened to a single line.  If inline stylesheets are useful enough to
support, they're useful enough to support without obfuscation.

> C) Headers are multi-line, and blank lines and lines that emulate the
> terminator are escaped.  Result: when you in-line something, you have to
> look at it and maybe fix it up (or have a tool that does that
> automatically).

Again, if you paste text into a WebVTT header that might contain blank
lines, you will always have to fix it up.

&escapes; are needed to allow the string --> anyway (I hope we're not
seriously considering creating a file format that can't represent that
series of characters in a header --> at all <--), and it means that when
users enter text into a WebVTT editor, newlines don't obnoxiously disappear.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> Right.  If we go with only single-line headers, and leave multi-line until
> we Know How to Do It Right, can we still do inline CSS?  Yes, we can.  A
> syntactically valid CSS file can have its line breaks replaced by other
> whitespace.  (An invalid one might become valid, but that doesn't worry us.)

If we can't find a better method now, we won't in the future, since it'll
only become exponentially harder as legacy data and parsers show up in the
wild and the options become restricted.  I think in this case "we'll solve
this later" means "we'll never do this at all", so let's make the right
decision now while we can.

--
Glenn Maynard