Re: WebVTT spec

A new draft document is now at
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/webvtt/webvtt.html .

This document is following the Community Group specification style of
ReSpec 3.1.49, which includes a different and more appropriate boilerplate.

I appreciate further feedback on differences to the spec at
http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/ that I may have missed.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 5:48 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > > I mean a diff of this:
> > >

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/webvtt/webvtt.html
> > >
> > > ...and this:
> > >
> > >    http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/

Attached, though it doesn't make much sense to compare at this level
because ReSpec requires some diverging markup and creates different markup,
too, and the CSS and JS is different.

> > > It looks like there's all kinds of errors right now, for example
> > > compare these two sections:
> > >

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/webvtt/webvtt.html#webvtt-cue-text-dom-construction-rules
> > >
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/#webvtt-cue-text-dom-construction-rules
> >
> > Yes, I think that's a style issue.
>
> It's more than just style, there's different numbers of hyperlinks.

Yes, that's what I meant by me earlier statement that "I've not yet worked
through adding all they useful hyperlinks." .

I believe this is all done now, both styling and hyperlinks.

> > Also the new style sheet you have applied is missing all kinds of
> > > things. For example, the table in the section above is all misstyled,

Fixed.

>  > > domintro blocks are unstyled,

Fixed.

> the spacing in the IANA section is all
> > > off,

Fixed (also changed the author there)

> broken cross-references and incomplete sections aren't
> > > highlighted, etc.

Fixed.

> > Right - I haven't fully applied all the ReSpec functionality yet. Thanks
> > for pointing these out.
>
> This should just be CSS, I don't see why the markup would be affected at
> all.

ReSpec uses <a> instead of <span> to create the hyperlinks, and
didn't parse for ReSpec. My text editor doesn't like attributes without
quotes (so I don't get nice syntax highlighting unless I add them). And all
sorts of other little things I had to fix. You can see the individual
changes at https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/ .

> > Also you're referencing a version of HTML with all kinds of errors,

Fixed. I didn't notice I linked to the 5.0 spec - thanks!

> > > and you seem to have changed the spec's status from "Standard" to
> > > "Working Draft" which seems like a regression.
> >
> > Yes, that part I have no idea how to deal with.
>
> It's easy. This is a CG, the HTML spec that used to be referenced is in
> another CG. Similarly, the spec title can just be left unchanged.

I now use the CG boilerplate.

Thanks,
Silvia.