Re: iOS6 WebVTT TextTrack Support in Safari

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:59:35 -0700
Cc: "'Goldstein, Glenn'" <glenn.goldstein@viacom.com>, public-texttracks@w3.org
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Hi John -

On Sep 26, 2012, at 2:47 PM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:

> Eric Carlson wrote:
>>>
>>  The lack of WebVTT support in MobileSafari on iOS 6 has nothing to do
>> with any of this, we just didn't have enough time to implement it.
>
> Thanks, so I guess I was misinformed: I thought that previously the videos
> were handed directly to the native media player on the handsets, and not
> rendered in the MobileSafari interface (was this ever the case, and has this
> changed, or have I just been clued out? Both possibilities exist)

  <video> in MobileSafari on the iPhone does always play in fullscreen, but not in another app. The experience is similar to playing fullscreen video on the desktop.

>>  In-band captions, eg. captions in an MPEG-4 container, have been
>> supported on iOS for some time.
>
> Yep, I should have been more precise, as this was what I was alluding to
> when I said "burned in". I know that initially that required the SCC caption
> file with Final Cut Pro, but am also aware that other, lighter-weight tools
> have emerged that allow for inclusion of caption files in the .mp4
> container.

  I assumed that you mean that captions had been pre-rendered into a video track when you said "burned-in". While authors can choose to do this, typically captions are added as a separate track which is then rendered as the video plays.

  I believe that Final Cut does allow an author to add captions to a video file, but quite a number of other tools - from various companies - do as well.

eric