Re: Metadata in the VTT file header (bug 15851), use cases (and a need to close this)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:54:48 -0700
To: public-texttracks <public-texttracks@w3.org>

On Sep 24, 2012, at 7:28 , Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> In any case: I'm going to use file-wide metadata for the CEA-608/708
> conversion document [1]. I'm going to follow what was last discussed
> with Simon, except I don't really know when to end the multi-line
> value, so I chose a random "##" as the character sequence to end it
> (happy for any better suggestions). I preferred this as more obvious
> than a single ".".

roughly why I suggested [[ to open and ]] to close (it's more visually noticeable, and is like CDATA) :-).  Not a ditch worth dying in, as long as we choose a line that is unlikely in what we want to embed (notably CSS).

> I'm fully aware that the WebVTT spec itself needs not to say anything
> about this - it will not break browsers in any case. It would,
> however, be better if we could change the spec to regard the
> multi-line values that may have empty lines in them not as broken
> cues, but as part of the header. We could define - as Simon said -
> anything between the "WEBVTT" magic string and the first successfully
> parsed cue as "header".

...or we could ban blank lines in the header (none of our use-cases require them, after all), or escape them (or a combination).

David Singer