Re: WebVTT feedback

On Jun 7, 2012, at 18:19 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> In the vein of this, while I don't mind having automated script
> detection for VTT files as an advanced feature, I think a video player
> should not be expected to implement complex script detection just so
> we can support mixed language cues.

Yes, I agree.

In fact, I am not sure that 'automatic detection' (of anything) is always a blessing.  I can't be the only person to have had a server serve something which looks a bit like html under the text/plain MIME type, hoping to have it rendered and not interpreted, only to have the browser second-guess me.

I don't know enough to know, but I wouldn't be surprised to find cases where the author really wants something interpreted as script A, but a script detection algorithm would guess B.

David Singer