Re: Streaming of WebVTT

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Cyril Concolato <
cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:

> I'm trying to integrate WebVTT content in streaming context (MP4, RTP,
> DASH, MPEG-2 ...) in general. Aside from the problem of random access
> points that I mentionned in my previous email [1], there is a problem with
> the fact that the "WEBVTT" string has to be at the beginning of the file.
> Consider the following case, I have a live event and I want client to
> connect to an HTTP-delivered WebVTT resource, I'd like to update that
> resource from time to time (removing old cues, adjusting times and adding
> new cues) and enable both clients already connected to get the update and
> for new clients to get the new content. That same file has to have the
> "WEBVTT" string for new clients, but cannot be used as is for the already
> connected client (I'll have to strip off the "WEBVTT" string). What is the
> use of that string? Is it really needed given that many resources on the
> web don't use magic numbers (HTML, XML, SRT, SVG, ...)?

You'll need the ability to deal with "header" data anyway.  There have been
proposals for adding headers for metadata, default cue settings, inline
CSS, and so on.  It may be a while if any of them are implemented, but
please try to avoid designing a system that expects WebVTT to be a
headerless format.

--
Glenn Maynard