Re: "WebVTT file using only nested cues"

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> "Furthermore, if the element's track URL identifies a WebVTT resource, and
> the element's kind attribute is in the chapters state, then the WebVTT file
> must be both a WebVTT file using chapter title text and a WebVTT file using
> only nested cues. [WEBVTT]"
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/**web-apps/current-work/**
> multipage/the-video-element.**html#the-track-element<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-video-element.html#the-track-element>

Shouldn't this requirement be in WebVTT, not <video>, so it's a WebVTT
requirement?  Currently, WebVTT itself doesn't make this restriction; it's
an additional restriction imposed on WebVTT when it happens to be used by
<video>.  Other consumers of the file format (eg. WebM) might not make that
restriction, potentially creating incompatibilities.  (I suppose
incompatibilities are only theoretical, since this seems like one of those
odd authoring requirements where the behavior has to be defined even if it
isn't followed.  WebVTT itself seems the natural place for this, though.)

--
Glenn Maynard