Re: "WebVTT file using only nested cues"

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 02:50:02 +0100, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2012, at 3:56 , Simon Pieters wrote:
>
>> "A WebVTT file whose cues all have an end time offset x greater than or
>> equal to the end time offsets of all the cues whose start time offsets
>> are less than x is said to be a WebVTT file using only nested cues."
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/#webvtt-file-using-only-nested-cues
>>
>> I have two problems with this definition. First, it takes considerable
>> mental focus to understand what it means (at least for me). It would be
>> nice if it could be explained more clearly, and/or give examples that
>> match the definition and examples that don't.
>>
>> Secondly, the name implies that all cues must be nested, since the file
>> is said to be using "only" nested cues, but this is not the case, so
>> maybe the definition should have a more accurate name. I was
>> considering "WebVTT file with no overlapping cues", but that's not
>> accurate either if nested cues are also overlapping.
>

> I agree, but I wonder what the definition is for, since it isn't used
> elsewhere?

"Furthermore, if the element's track URL identifies a WebVTT resource, and
the element's kind attribute is in the chapters state, then the WebVTT
file must be both a WebVTT file using chapter title text and a WebVTT file
using only nested cues. [WEBVTT]"

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-video-element.html#the-track-element

> We might also have a definition of a non-overlapping VTT file (which
> maybe is obvious)…
>
> David Singer

Simon Pieters
Opera Software