Re: metadata in the VTT file header, re-starting the conversation

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:01:16 -0800
Cc: public-texttracks@w3.org
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>

On Feb 22, 2012, at 10:31 , Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 00:31:42 +0100, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> this conversation petered out, and we could really do with a way to store attributes in the VTT file header:
>> a) documented (standard)
>> b) vendor-specific and experimental, probably
>>
>> Does anyone have any preferred syntax for doing this?  It's a little tricky, because one of the values I'd like to support is in-line CSS
>
> In my private and humble opinion, a standardized format for metadata in WebVTT overkill and not really something we need for v1. I'd prefer to simply have some form of comment block that people can experiment with before trying to go further.

I don't have any problem with carving out a space for experimental and/or vendor-specific metadata, as long as it leaves an open door for specification later.  Do you have a proposal?

We see a real need for at least
a) what stylesheet(s) would help this VTT render well
b) an inline stylesheet
c) how to match the VTT timestamps to the media, specially when the media timestamps are non zero-origin, such as mpeg-2 transport
d) catching the values that would end up in the HTML, either (i) before the HTML is yet built or (ii) for standalone uses, where there is no embedding HTML page

David Singer