Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Christian Vogler wrote:
> >
> > The section of the CFR Silvia is referring to was changed in response to
> > Section 203 of the CVAA. I've worked intensively with the deaf and hard
> > of hearing advocacy groups on this part.
>
> Section 203 doesn't seem to do the same as the CFR (in particular it
> doesn't mention roll-up captions, and seems generally more reasonable).
> But to the point of my question, it also doesn't seem to let the FCC
> regulate Web software.

Actually it does. The CVAA gives the FCC the authority to regulate Internet
video that has been shown on TV before, and the devices/software associated
with Internet playback.

The insertion of "reasonable" is debatable. Deaf and hard of hearing
consumers who fought very hard for Internet captions might differ. Many of
them (including me) were quite happy with the outcome of converting Section
203 into the FCC rules.

Christian

--
Christian Vogler, PhD