Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

The section of the CFR Silvia is referring to was changed in response to
Section 203 of the CVAA. I've worked intensively with the deaf and hard of
hearing advocacy groups on this part.

What makes it apply is the following language:

Note to paragraph ( a ): Apparatus includes the physical device and the
video players that manufacturers install into the devices they manufacture
before sale, whether in the form of hardware, software, or a combination of
both, as well as any video players that manufacturers direct consumers to
install after sale.
That affects any web browser that is bundled with hardware - including any
mobile browser.

Christian

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > I am not a lawyer and what I am saying now is not authorized by YouTube
> or
> > Google, so do not take my word for it but rather check with a real
> lawyer.
> >
> > The key section of interest of the CVAA seems to be the following, FCC
> > 79.103:
>
> The official URL to what you are referring seems to be this:
>
>    http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=47:4.0.1.1.6.0.3.8
>
> This appears to be the FCC rules part of the CFR, not the CVAA. What makes
> this apply to Web browser software or, say, open source video players?
>
> --

Christian Vogler, PhD
Director, Technology Access Program
Department of Communication Studies