Re: Metadata in the VTT file header (bug 15851), use cases (and a need to close this)

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 02:21:28 +0200, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

>>  key: |
>> valueline
>> valueline
>> …
>> .
>>

> Also, &escapes; need to be allowed, so that "-->" can be escaped to
> "--&gt;".  This is needed for single-line headers, too.  Other than that
> one oddity, however, this format requiers no escaping except for
> prefixing
> backslashes, and unescaping can be as simple as "if the line begins with
> backslash, remove it".

OK, now this syntax is becoming so horrible I don't know what to make of
it. Please, let's take a step back and think again. We don't need to put
everything between the "WEBVTT" and a blank line. We can have cue-like
blocks for multiline things, e.g.:

WEBVTT
language: fr
kind: subtitles

STYLE
#foo { color:green }
i { font-family:serif }

foo
00:00:00.000 --> 00:00:05.000
testing <i>testing</i>

This is backwards compatible! No escapes needed! It doesn't support
embedding "-->", but I'd rather change the parser to only be aggressive
about "-->" after the first real cue than to support &escapes; in metadata
values.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software