Re: Displaying multiple lines in WebVTT

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>  I do not believe that it will. Mere tutorial-level information will be
> sufficient for this kind of thing. That is, whatever mechanism people use
> to learn the language will be fine.

People aren't likely to read tutorials for VTT when they've already
comfortable with SRT.

It's not one in a few thousand.

One in a few thousand is generous; I can't even think of a single example.

 The specific example above is a single bitmap from a DVD caption track.
> (First hit on Google for that cue's text identifies the source correctly.
> It happened to be what I had playing -- with captions enabled,
> coincidentally -- when I replied to the earlier e-mail.)

(Bitmap DVD captions, from what I vaguely recall--it's been a decade or so
since I wrote a decoder for them--only *support* showing a single bitmap at
a time.  This has no connection to how things should be authored in VTT.)

 I see no reason to suggest that authors should use two WebVTT cues for
> such a case. On the contrary, I think such cases are quite common.

They're lines spoken by two different people at different times.  Why would
you put them in the same caption?  The only way that could even be done
would be with a timestamp tag, which just seems pointless and harder to
edit.

--
Glenn Maynard