Re: Cues with 'start time' >= 'end time'

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > Such a situation is possible because there's nothing we can do to stop
> > authors from making mistakes. Whether we drop the cue when the cue is
> > found to have negative duration, or leave it in the DOM as is, or
> > somehow normalise the values so duration is zero or positive, etc, is
> > merely a design trade-off. In this case, it turns out to be simpler to
> > just leave the cues in the DOM than try to filter them out.
>
> I disagree.  While it's hard to stop them from being added by the API,
> it's trivial to filter them out in the parser.

There's no point filtering it in the parser if we don't keep it out in the
various other ways they can get in.

> Doing this means that implementations which don't expose an API (eg.
> media players) have smaller testing requirements; they only need to test
> that they're discarded at the parser.

Non DOM implementations can still discard them at the parser.

> > It also makes it easier for cue editors to use the parser and API
> > without having to worry about losing cues that happen to have
> > incorrect timings.
>
> I don't see the value.  If it's an invalid cue, then it's no different
> than losing a cue that happens to have a syntax error.

It's different because it's easier to generate a cue with invalid data
than one with invalid syntax.