Re: meta-data in the VTT file header, a strawman proposal

On Apr 20, 2012, at 15:05 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

>> As I say, it's essentially what is used for mail message bodies in SMTP, plus the minimum extra needed for our application (blank-line suppression).
>
> Not really. You don't have any name-value fields in a SMTP body, so
> there is no need to distinguish between a single-line and a multi-line
> name-value field.

True.  I am treating each name-value pair as something to code, rather than the whole block.

> Your proposal is simply to introduce special markers that identify the
> start and end of a multi-line name-value field.

…which is like handling a message-body.

>>  Maybe there is an existing system like this that includes blank-line management;  anyone think of one?
>
> YAML looked pretty neat - did you look at what I suggested earlier?

Seems like most of the value of YAML is that it handles structured values.  If someone needed a structured value, then sure, it'd be a strong candidate for representing the value of that attribute.  But worse, just like 822, one has to indent every line of the text, as I read it; block termination is an un-indented line (that has to look like a key-value pair).  YAML allows blank lines, but alas, we don't need them (unless we drop the backwards-compatible "blank line means end of attributes" rule).

So, interesting, for sure.  Maybe overkill, though having a standard syntax for structured value might be valuable, and maybe 'intrusive' (all the required indenting), but it is reversible.

David Singer