Re: meta-data in the VTT file header, a strawman proposal

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2012, at 10:10 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>>> RFC 822 generally considers values as "one long line that can be folded if it's too long", and I am not sure that's right for us.   I think that line-breaks can be significant in some of the values we cant, no?  (Such as CSS).
>>
>> Do we need empty lines?
>
> it makes style-sheets readable, and aren't line-breaks significant in style-sheets?

No, line breaks are not significant in style sheets. You can specify a
CSS file in a single line. In fact, all web page compression programs
do this. Semicolons are significant though.

As for line breaks in RFC822 header syntax: as long as you put a blank
or other whitespace character at the beginning of the line, RFC822
header syntax allows it to be a continuation line and folds it in. We
would just need to make sure WebVTT doesn't recognize that as the end
of the header section and starts trying to parse cues.

> And we don't *want* actual empty lines, as simple parsers will think the cue-text is coming next.

OK, then RFC822 header syntax seems adequate.

Silvia.