Re: Displaying multiple lines in WebVTT

Hi David,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1  when line number addressing is used, which line is meant if the text needs multiple lines?

The WebVTT cue settings are applied first before any line wrapping
algorithms. So, the first line of the WebVTT cue is the one that the
cue setting positions. It's already specified in this way.

> 2  the existence of soft-wrapped text doesn't answer the question of whether we need hard-wrapped;

That is correct. They are two independent issues that I'd like to look
at independently. For example, while I personally support the
introduction of a new balanced text wrapping algorithm, I don't
believe we need to introduce explicit line break markup and can just
live with CR/LF.

>  we could
>   a) say that line breaks in the VTT are treated as whitespace
>   b) (a) plus allow <br>
>   c) say that line breaks in the VTT file are 'hard'

I don't think you can do a) without b).

IIUC Glenn wants b) and I am happy with leaving it at c).

Which is your preference?

Cheers,