Re: meta-data in the VTT file header, a strawman proposal

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>  RFC 822 defines clearly that everything after the first null line is the
> message body, not headers, so your example would have us treating

RFC822 would take a lot of hammering to make it fit here.  (For example, it
doesn't make sense to talk about the "body" of the message, since WebVTT
isn't encapsulated *inside* an RFC-822 message; we're only talking about
headers.)  WebVTT basing its header data on RFC-822 might be reasonable
(not sure), but I'd only use it as a basis, not as a normative definition.

>  p::first-line {
>  background: url(http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/logo-REC) no-repeat;
>  font-size: 10px;
>  span { border-left: solid 1em black; }
> }
> srclang: en_US
> Label: 𝟎s for 王!
>
> as cue-text :-(.  Or am I missing something?  That's also the case in the
> current VTT spec (that the header lines terminate on the first blank line).
>
> RFC 822 generally considers values as "one long line that can be folded if
> it's too long", and I am not sure that's right for us.   I think that
> line-breaks can be significant in some of the values we cant, no?  (Such as
> CSS).

RFC822 is a poor fit for representing block data, like inline CSS.  WebVTT
should either need to use a different header style if handling that is
wanted, or else use a separate mechanism for inline CSS.

--
Glenn Maynard