Re: [RFC] WebM temporal metadata

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>wrote:

> Not sure about explicit namespacing, but we definitely need to define
> a standard set of names that WebVTT supports.

I'm not suggesting XML-like parsable namespaces, of course, just a
recommended naming scheme to reduce conflicts later.

 VTTDefaultCueSetting:
> VTTDefaultStyles:
> VTTDataFormat:
> VTTDataHint:
>
> While ugly, it is also very obvious what is standard and people can
> come up with any other stuff without fear of clashing. OTOH if a
> user-created name becomes widely used, we can't just provide support
> for it as it is, but instead have to introduce a relacement name with
> the prefix. Is there any way to win this?

Non-prefixed names could still be supported if that happens, if the de
facto usage is consistent enough to do that.

Instead of "namespacing", maybe it's better phrased as "all names beginning
with VTT are reserved".  That way, it doesn't imply that we'll never
support anything *not* beginning with VTT, if it makes sense down the road.

--
Glenn Maynard