Re: Discussion on Caption Model

On 17/10/2011 12:29, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I've called the document the "caption model - an abstract model of captions":
>
>                http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/wiki/Caption_Model
>
> I may have missed some features of international caption models, so
> please have a thorough read and see if you're missing anything.

Very good document Silvia. I am trying to understand what its breadth
should be: should it document all the use cases currently covered by all
the major captioning systems, or only what is common in the linear
broadcast world? I'm wondering if, for instance, there is an archived
collection of use cases which the TTML group used...

Two other minor comments come to mind:

1) It is my understanding that captioning can use visual elements such
as color  (symbols, too - can be thought of as "text" for the sake of
this document?) to specify meta-information: who is speaking, whether
the sound being captioned is off-screen, etc.

2) There are use cases for the display of the caption contents outside
of the Video viewport (and sometimes, there is no viewport at all -
think radio transcripts). Is this something we want to add a provision for?

Thanks,
Olivier