RE: Roll-up captions in WebVTT

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Christian Vogler wrote:
> >
> > Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_q-RRXw-vY
> >
> > In that video, roll-up is actually very readable and leads the eye
> very
> > well with respect to focusing attention. No captioning or steno
> errors
> > in this video, but I hope this gets the point across.
>
> IMHO that's horrible compared to normal captions. It is always moving,
> which means you can't read it as fast as normal captions, plus it's
> continually distracting from the image.

With all due respect, your opinion here should not be what is driving
progress. If *you* don't like roll-up captions, don't use them. Others do
and want this ability. Christian (for example) found it "...very
readable...", so just because you don't like it is immaterial to this
discussion.

> Good captions should be so low-overheard for the viewer that the viewer
> can entirely forget that he's reading captions in the first place. You
> simply can't get that effect with rollup captions.

Again, this appears to be your opinion, but can you point us to a
definitive source for this assertion?  We are not going for "effect" here,
but rather functionality, and in some instances the need (or desire) to
have rollup captions exist.  You asked for a use-case, and one was given.
That you don't like it is no cause for it to be discarded.

JF