Re: Roll-up captions in WebVTT

On Dec 16, 2011, at 9:05 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> Some translations do try to overlay transliterated credits on top of the original credits, eg. for CJK names.  I've rarely seen it work well, since you end up with two sets of credits on screen: the original credits, baked into the video, and the transliterated credits on top (which may try to cover up the original, or coexist, which competes with anything the credits are over).

My thoughts exactly. You also have to take into account the fact that the credits have a high potential to differ on font size and scroll rate, which puts things in a slightly awkward position if the track used for scrolling credits has to keep rolling after the video completes.

On Dec 18, 2011, at 3:07 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> It would certainly be nice to be able to index the text
> of credits better than is possible now.

I agree that having this content indexable would be a great thing to have, but I'm not convinced that it actually needs to be a part of the track, as I consider this information metadata that could exist with or without any type of captioning. Am I wrong in stating that if the author really wanted to display this information, they could do that separately using the oncuechange event provided by the Text Track API?

Best,
Kevin