Re: Roll-up captions in WebVTT

On Dec 18, 2011, at 16:01 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>>
>> Duplicating captions would be evil, of course (think about what might
>> happen if the track was being output via TTS), and much more evil if
>> someone was trying to fake smooth scrolling (dozens of duplicates per
>> caption).
>
> That's my point: it's currently the only way to achieve scrolling
> captions and it's evil. Therefore we need a better way.

It's only evil if you can't tell it's a duplicate when you need to know (e.g. when using TTS), and what I am suggesting is tagging to say that, for those that need to know.

I think the bandwidth 'waste' is minimal, and it keeps simple implementations very simple (each cue contains the actual text to display).

David Singer