Re: Full-screen captioning

We also have the opportunity to use the CSS object-position and
object-fit properties [1] to position and scale video within its
display box. If that makes space for captions to be displayed in a
letterbox space, that would allow for your use case three to be
satisfied.

[1] http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/css3-object-fit-object-position/
(Opera has support)