Re: Roll-up captions in WebVTT

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Kevin Sweeney <ksweeney@vimeo.com> wrote:
> My thoughts exactly. You also have to take into account the fact that the
> credits have a high potential to differ on font size and scroll rate, which
> puts things in a slightly awkward position if the track used for scrolling
> credits has to keep rolling after the video completes.

(All said, at least for things like fansubs where people don't have
access to video source layers in order to do this "cleanly", I always
prefer slightly ugly but readable transliterated credits to credits I
can't read at all.  If I can't read the names, nobody's getting credit
for anything.)

> I agree that having this content indexable would be a great thing to have,
> but I'm not convinced that it actually needs to be a part of the track, as I
> consider this information metadata that could exist with or without any type
> of captioning. Am I wrong in stating that if the author really wanted to
> display this information, they could do that separately using the
> oncuechange event provided by the Text Track API?

If it's a real use case and fits WebVTT, then it's better to support
it properly (in time--not necessarily right now) instead of making
everyone create incompatible ad hoc solutions, with all the problems
that creates.

Standalone players--if the format eventually makes it to them--also
shouldn't be required to execute scripts, especially for something as
important as credits.

--
Glenn Maynard