Re: WebVTT bidi: should a cue be allowed to contain more than one paragraph?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 22:18:22 +0100, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From the point of view of authoring that information, two WebVTT files
>> work. However, the HTML spec says that only one track of kind captions
>> or subtitles can be showing at any point in time
>>
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#sourcing-out-of-band-text-tracks
>

> Where does the spec say this? As far as I can tell the spec allows several
> tracks to be showing at the same time if the user so wishes. However,
> there's no declarative way for the author to give two tracks "showing by
> default", which is something we might want to change.

I suppose that the way in which the spec is currently written only
requires during loading of the text tracks that only a single track is
"showing". There is no statement about what happens when the user
activates a different track of the same kind. In particular it doesn't
say that when a track is newly "showing" that every other one that was
previously "showing" should now be hidden. However, I am pretty sure
that that was the intention.

It's definitely necessary that we resolve this inconsistency: either
several tracks of the same kind should be able to be "showing by
default" just as currently it's possible to have several tracks be
"showing"... or we should state that as soon as a track is newly
"showing", no other track of the same kind is allowed to be in the
same state.

My preference is actually on the latter. If anyone wants more than one
track *of the same kind*  to be "showing" at the same time, I
recommend they use metadata kind tracks.

Cheers,