RE: Roll-up captions in WebVTT

We at PLYmedia are doing Live Captions for a long while.

We NEVER use roll-up captions as they are really unreadable if you want to
follow the video and the captions.

We do use stenographers but we collect their inputs and by using simple but
smart algorithms we break it down to readable captions lines.

All research studies made about captions clarify the roll-up captions
interfere with the viewers:

"While beyond the scope of this document, semantic compression and omission
techniques are documented in professional literature.  A fine example is the
analysis of respeaking at the BBC's news broadcasts, as outlined by Carlo
Eugeni, "Respeaking the BBC news", The Sign Language Translator and
Interpreter 3(1), 2009.

Uniformity in style and visual consistency is a crucial consideration for
viewer understanding.  Captions present additional visual information to the
broadcast displayed onscreen.  It is therefore imperative to consider
natural reading strategies, and overloading of visual elements which
captions may present.

An example of this is caption scrolling.  While a common practice in many
real-time broadcasts, caption line scrolling, or even single word scrolling
interfere with the visual consistency and impair reading comprehension. "

Keeping roll-up for LIVE is actually continuing with a very old technology
providing a bad accessibility service.

Gal